Free Case Evaluation AVAILABLE 24/7

Close this search box.

What to Do When You Have Been Hurt on the Job

You know that, when you suffer a work-related injury or illness, you have a right to pursue workers’ compensation benefits for lost wages and income, for medical expenses, and for any permanent disability you suffer. But how do you protect your rights? What are the steps you need to take to ensure that you qualify for and receive workers’ compensation benefits?

Seek Medical Attention Immediately!!

The most important thing to do is to get treatment for any injuries you have suffered. Your health is the most important thing you have. The sooner you receive medical care, the better your chances of a maximum recovery. In addition, the longer you wait, the greater the risk that you’ll suffer an intervening injury which may make it difficult to prove that you were hurt on the job.

If you can’t move or find it difficult to move under your own power, have co-workers call for emergency medical personnel and let them determine if you need to go directly to the hospital. If you can move under your own power, it’s always in your best interests to seek immediate medical care, whether it’s at the hospital, an urgent care facility or from your personal physician. You will want to stay under the care of your doctor as long as you receive benefits.

Notify Your Employer

If your injury is serious, your supervisor or employer will usually know about the injury shortly after the accident. If, however, you’ve suffered an injury without any witnesses or your injury is not as apparent, you should notify your supervisor as soon as possible, but no later than 30 days after the accident or after you discovered the injury.

File a Claim with the Workers’ Compensation Board

Your next step is to file a claim for benefits with the Workers’ Compensation Board. Don’t rely on your employer to do this for you. It’s probably the right time to contact an experienced workers’ compensation attorney to guide you through the application process, so that you don’t make mistakes that cost you benefits.

What to Do When You Have Been Hurt on the Job

Experienced NYC | Queens | Bronx | Brooklyn Workers’ Compensation Lawyers

At Pyrros & Serres LLP, we provide comprehensive counsel to people with workers’ compensation and Social Security disability claims in Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and across the greater New York City metropolitan area. Because of our reputation for effective advocacy, many of our new clients come to us as referrals from clients and other lawyers.

To learn more about the full scope of our practice, see our practice area overview page.

Pyrros & Serres LLP

Queens | NYC | Brooklyn | Bronx Workers’ Compensation Attorneys

About The Author

Picture of Michael Serres, ESQ.

Michael Serres, ESQ.

Michael Serres, ESQ. is a reputed Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Astoria, Queens, NY. He graduated from St. John’s University School of Law in 1989. Mr. Serres was admitted to practice law in New York State in 1990 and is admitted in the Federal District Courts for the Southern and the Eastern Districts of New York. He has served on the Board of Directors of the Workers’ Compensation Bar Association and is currently serving on the Board of Directors of the Queens County Bar Association.