Pyrros, Serres & Rupwani Logo

Call (718) 626-7730

Free Case Evaluation AVAILABLE 24/7

Close this search box.

Slip-and-Fall FAQs

What can you do if you’ve been injured in a slip-and-fall accident in New York?

If you’ve been injured in a slip-and-fall accident, report your accident to the property owner or manager and seek immediate medical attention. Having your slip-and-fall accident documented by both property owners and medical professionals is a critical component of a successful premises liability case. The property owner or the insurance company may dispute your claim. Therefore, it’s important to contact an experienced slip-and-fall attorney as soon as possible.

When should I call a slip-and-fall lawyer in New York?

It is recommended to consult with a slip-and-fall lawyer as soon as possible after an injury. Experienced slip-and-fall attorneys at Pyrros, Serres & Rupwani will act quickly to gather evidence and documents that are relevant to the condition of the property, who was responsible for maintaining the area, and other factors. Our lawyers will also evaluate the evidence in order to minimize your liability and obtain a monetary award for you. Our lawyers will negotiate with the insurance company or the other parties in order to obtain the best possible settlement, or to go to trial if a settlement can’t be reached.

What are some of the common causes for slip-and-fall accidents?

Here are some of the common causes of slip-and-fall accidents:

  • Defects in pavement
  • Wet or slippery floors
  • Snow and ice accumulation
  • Unsafe ladders and stairs
  • Debris or trash on the floor
  • Inadequate lighting
  • Torn, raised, or worn carpeting
  • Lack of handrails
  • Improper Safety Practices

Where do most slip-and-falls happen?

Slip-and-fall accidents can happen almost anywhere. Residential properties, nursing homes, and workplaces are the most common places people experience a slip-and-fall. Apart from that, slip-and-falls are widely reported from parking lots, sidewalks, shopping malls, and playgrounds.

Who pays my medical bills from a slip-and-fall accident?

Property owners, business owners, or homeowners are required to carry liability insurance to protect injury victims in case an accident occurs on their property. When a personal injury claim is filed, it is the responsibility of the property owner’s insurance provider to compensate you for medical bills associated with the accident. However, some insurance companies might delay your claim, pressure you to accept a lesser settlement than you deserve or deny your claim altogether. An experienced slip-and-fall attorney in New York can fight to prove the extent of your injuries to the responsible insurance company and maximize the compensation you deserve.

About The Author

Michael Serres, ESQ.

Michael Serres, ESQ.

Michael Serres, ESQ. is a reputed Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in Astoria, Queens, NY. He graduated from St. John’s University School of Law in 1989. Mr. Serres was admitted to practice law in New York State in 1990 and is admitted in the Federal District Courts for the Southern and the Eastern Districts of New York. He has served on the Board of Directors of the Workers’ Compensation Bar Association and is currently serving on the Board of Directors of the Queens County Bar Association.