New York City | Queens | Brooklyn | Bronx Workers’ Compensation Lawyers
When you’ve been hurt on the job and need to file a claim for benefits through the New York workers’ compensation system, you can be tempted to try to handle matters yourself. The injury may seem pretty clear cut—do you really need a lawyer? The answer—absolutely. The workers’ compensation process can be complex and intimidating, with many different factors. It’s not just about showing that you were injured at work. Your employer or the workers’ compensation insurance company may try to argue that your injury isn’t as serious as you claim it is, or that your compensation should be less than you deserve. It’s always a good idea to have an experienced workers’ compensation attorney protecting your interests. But how do you go about finding the right person to handle your claim? Here are some guidelines for hiring a workers’ compensation lawyer.
- Make certain the attorney has extensive experience handling all aspects of a workers’ compensation claim. It really should be his or her specialty. You don’t want the attorney to learn on your dime.
- Look for a lawyer who has extensive experience in court or before workers’ compensation judges. In many workers’ compensation cases, there will be a hearing before a judge. You want to know that your attorney knows his or her way around a courtroom.
- Ask your prospective attorney what he or she will do to ensure that you get the benefits you need. What steps will be taken to make certain your case continues to move forward to the resolution you want.
- Confirm that the lawyer will be available when you have questions, or will return your calls or e-mails in a timely manner. Few things can be more frustrating than waiting long periods of time to learn the status of your claim.
- Determine the approach your attorney will take. Will they seek to negotiate a settlement or will they aggressively push for full benefits, even if it takes a long time.
Getting the Right Attorney to Handle Your Workers’ Compensation Claim
Experienced NYC | Brooklyn | Bronx | Queens Workers’ Compensation Attorneys
At Pyrros & Serres LLP, we handle all matters related to workers’ compensation and Social Security disability claims for people in Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx and across the greater New York City metropolitan area. Because of our reputation for effective advocacy, many of our new clients come to us as referrals from clients and other lawyers.
To learn more about the full scope of our practice, see our practice area overview page.
Bronx | NYC | Brooklyn | Queens Workers’ Compensation Attorneys